Saturday, May 2, 2009

People Should Wear Signs

While bemoaning a recent and awful breakup, my friend decided that from now on, all people should wear informational signs. In her own words, “People Should Wear Signs. You know, as a warning.” In regard to her situation, we agreed that the sign her ex-boyfriend would sport would read “Warning: Boyfriend will self-combust if relationship goes too well.”

This conversation prompted me to think about other situations in which an over head sign indicating future behavior would be beneficial. The squid changes color, a dog growls, a cat hisses. Each of these outward behavioral cues serve as warnings. Why can't people have obvious signs as well?


For example, the following signage would save time and avoid hard feelings:

  • I can't use car blinker appropriately and will turn or not turn vehicle regardless of vehicle indicators.
  • I take everything the wrong way.
  • I talk about people behind their back.
  • I mask my insecurities will anger. I will yell at you periodically to make myself feel better.
  • I'm a sociopath.
  • I'm off my medication.
  • I like to control people.
  • I won't take responsibility. Its always your fault.
  • I won't commit. To anything. Ever.
  • I will sneak drugs out of your medicine cabinet.
The more I think about the potential of personal signage, I realize that signs would not necessarily need to indicate bad behavior. Signs could also display more helpful information that could stimulate a more compassionate response to those who are hurting. Like:
  • My best friend died six weeks ago.
  • I lost my job today.
  • I just moved to town and I'm lonely. I could really use a friend.
  • My spouse hits me.
  • I was just diagnosed with a cancer.
  • My child is in jail. What did I do wrong?
  • Will anyone notice if I'm not around anymore?
After reflecting on the issue of signs, I realized that we spend a tremendous amount of energy trying to conceal our real or perceived deficiencies from other people. No one wants to appear to have any problems. Yet it might be easier on everyone if we all agreed to live with a bit more transparency.

Would our behavior on the outside make more sense if the obvious signage was available to explain our inner lives? Would we act with more compassion towards others if we knew what was really going on in their inner life? Maybe. Maybe not.


Though the personal advantages are obvious, to be honest, I'm not sure I want you to read my personal billboard on a given day. Though for morning engagements, perhaps a “Nicer after coffee” sign would explain everything.